Glen Rock Injury Lawyers Represent Victims of Medical Malpractice
New Jersey firm seeks compensation for clients harmed by healthcare negligence
Going to a doctor entails a leap of faith. You place your trust in the care of a medical professional, relying on his or her knowledge and skill to provide you with a proper diagnosis and treatment. At times, surgery may be necessary. Unfortunately, the trust you place in your doctor sometimes ends up being violated. At your most vulnerable time, you may become a victim of medical negligence. At Feitlin, Youngman, Karas & Gerson, LLC in Glen Rock, medical malpractice litigation has been a central part of our work for more than 20 years. We’ve handled a wide variety of cases for our clients and recovered millions of dollars in claims asserted against doctors, nurses and hospitals. Our New Jersey lawyers are here to help fight for your financial recovery if you or a family member has been a victim of medical negligence. You can count on us to pursue justice relentlessly if a doctor or healthcare facility has failed you.
Common examples of medical malpractice
There are numerous ways in which a medical provider’s carelessness can harm a patient. Our firm handles a full range of malpractice actions, such as matters involving:
- Surgical errors — A problem in the operating room could have serious consequences, and the victim is usually not aware of what’s happening. We conduct a thorough investigation when someone believes they were injured due to a surgical error.
- Birth injuries — Erb’s palsy, brachial plexus injuries and other types of harm can occur when proper care is not used during childbirth. By consulting with obstetric experts, our attorneys can see if your baby’s medical problems were caused by negligence.
- Improper medication — Many of us rely on pharmaceuticals to address various conditions, but improper prescriptions, harmful drug interactions and other medication errors could trigger lasting harm. These mistakes might be the fault of the prescribing doctor, the drug maker or both.
- Misdiagnosis — When a doctor does not recognize the connection between symptoms and a serious underlying medical problem, the truth might not be discovered until it is too late. Our firm works with specialists to determine if a failure to diagnose or incorrect diagnosis constitutes malpractice.
- Hospital injuries and infections — You’re supposed to heal in a hospital, but sometimes a lack of hygiene or rough handling results in an infection or injury.
Choosing the right medical malpractice attorney can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. We have a strong track record in medical malpractice claims and know how to counter the tactics commonly used by defendants and their insurance companies.
Proving medical negligence
Due to the complexity of medical malpractice claims, plaintiffs in these cases must include an affidavit executed by someone with an appropriate professional license with their complaint. The affiant must declare under penalty of perjury that proper measures were not taken during the treatment where the victim has harmed. We work with expert witnesses in all types of healthcare negligence claims to provide the support needed for our clients’ claims. You can also rely on us to challenge the assertions made by defendants’ experts where appropriate.
Damages available in a medical malpractice case
New Jersey law requires people harmed by medical malpractice to file their lawsuit within two years of the date when the injury occurred. If the harm was not immediately apparent, they have two years from the date when the negative effects of the defendant’s carelessness would have been discoverable by a reasonable person. You can collect various types of damages, including reimbursement for the additional treatment you required and the income you lost because of the defendant’s violation of professional standards. Compensation is also available for the pain and suffering you endured, along with any permanent effects resulting from the malpractice.
Contact a New Jersey medical malpractice attorney for a consultation
Feitlin, Youngman, Karas & Gerson, LLC seeks compensation for New Jersey medical malpractice victims. To discuss your claim with an experienced lawyer, please call 201-468-0966 or contact us online. Our office is in Glen Rock.